. . . He Was a Beautiful Butterfly

>> 1.28.2010

butterfly My intent was to wait on meta/housecleaning/announcement posts until we were a little deeper into the offseason.  As in, actually into the offseason at all.  However, this crazy interweb thing moves fast, and a change I didn’t think I’d be able to make for months is suddenly upon us.  In fact, the sharper-eyed (and faster-DNS-cached) among you may already have noticed.

After a full year of undulating through the blogosphere on its belly, crawling up search engine results inch-by-inch as a larval little Blogspot blog, TLIW has already emerged from its offseason chrysalis a real live web site:

www.thelionsinwinter.com

That's right, The Lions in Winter is no longer a second-class citizen of the blogging world.  Looking at my search traffic over the past year has been depressing.  If the analytics are right, a significant percentage of you find this site just by Googling “the lions in winter” every day, because who can remember that whole long weirdo URL?  I could actually see it on the faces of people I’d tell about the blog: “Yeah, it’s ‘the lions in winter, dot blogsp[NOT LISTENING ANYMORE]ot, dot . . . com.  Yeah, uh, so check it out.”

So, now, the root servers at the dark heart of the Internet propagate this little DNS switcheroo throughout the globe.  I have about 437 blog, forum, and message board signatures to change, and 22 aggregator links and profiles to update—not to mention polite emails/IMs/PMs/Tweets to anyone who’s ever done me the favor of putting me on their blogroll.

Still, it’s a happy chore—and one I’m thrilled to be saddled with.  If anything looks funky, or broken, or awesome, or terrible, please feel free to comment on this thread, or hit me up by of the usual ways or means (email thelionsinwinter@gmail.com, tweet or DM @lionsinwinter, etc.).

14 comments:

Nate,  January 28, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

Looks great, Ty. Keep up the good work.

Reverend Spielman January 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

Great call Ty, domains are the way to go!

David M January 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

Haha, this is good, man.

I remember one of our conversations centered around this very topic. It's a smart move, and should improve your search rankings too!

Hope you got a reasonable deal with a host.

Hyperion Ecta,  January 28, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

Congrats, Ty!

Ty Schalter January 29, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

Nate--

Thanks, man! I'm going to continue to make behind-the-scenes tweaks to improve performance (a lot) and appearance.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter January 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

Rev--

Thank you sir! Always been jealous of the TLD . . . I'm pumped to have a "real" URL . . . What's funny is that I keep mistyping it now.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter January 29, 2010 at 9:33 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ty Schalter January 29, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

David M--

Yeah, thanks dude. What's funny is that if you Google "the lions in winter", you get my site at #1, but the title is "Blogger: Redirecting" and the subtext is all "Blogger is a place where you can blog and stuff". I hope that all gets straightened out soon . . .

Other than that? Yeah. Awesome. Right now, I have the domain with GoDaddy, and the hosting stuff is all still Blogspot (just takes a little CNAME/DNS magic and Blogger configuration). Pretty painless, really.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter January 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Hyperion Ecta--

Thanks . . . and thanks for reading!

Peace
Ty

A Lion in ViQueen Territory,  January 29, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see any links under "Brothers in Blue Fire."

Ty Schalter January 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

ALiVQT--

What browser are you using?

Peace
Ty

A Lion in ViQueen Territory,  January 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Mozilla. I posted my previous comment from another computer and don't see the links from my home computer either.

I like those links. Not as much as I like this site, of course. But like them, I do.

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP