Championship Sunday

>> 1.24.2010

January 17 2010: Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre (4). The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Dallas Cowboys by a score of 34 to 3 at Mall of America Field at H.H.H. Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN.
Let’s get this straight right now: I’m rooting for Brett Favre.  I’m not rooting for the team he plays for.  I’m not rooting for his teammates, for the colors he wears, or for the fans in that state over there.  I just want Brett Favre to go to the Super Bowl, win the Super Bowl, and take his rightful place amongst the very, very best that ever played the game.  
If there’s a team I “hate”—detest, dislike, can’t stand, wish eternal failure upon—it’s those guys in purple.  As much as it kills me that Brett Favre is lead them to victory, I want Brett to silence his critics even more.  He’s #1 in yards, wins, and touchdowns—not to mention, has never missed a day of work.  Yet, I constantly hear that he has work to do to crack the all-time top ten--that is total nonsense.
It infuriates me that every blog, message board, Twitter feed, and talking heads thinks Favre’s unbelievable season is some kind of affront: how dare Favre, after all these seasons of being great , refuse to cede his job to the NEXT HOT NEXT NOW WHO’S NEXT GUY?  He’s playing his position almost flawlessly this season, and he absolutely is the reason the Vikings are where they are.  Is it his fault he gets overexposed?
Let me tell you all this: when Tarvaris Jackson is leading the Vikings to their annual within-a-game-of-.500 record, and everyone is crying about the waste of Adrian Peterson and a great defense, please refer back to this man, and this season, and thank your lucky stars you got to see this man play.

4 comments:

A Lion in ViQueen Territory,  January 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

Game. Over. Favre pulled out the stops, harkening back to the halcyon days of yore with his last interception. Peterson did what he does worst - fumble. And the Saints played to win. I wil admit, I do have a bit of a smug attitude this morning, seeing all my pro-Viking classmates just a little bummed.

I like the Colts to win the SB. I just don't really want to bet against Peyton. When he wants a touchdown, he gets a touchdown. The imposition of his will on a defense is almost palpable, especially once he figures out the defense. Example: the Jets blitzed early and often resulting in a few punts for the Colts. But Peyton did his thing and figured it out.

Ty Schalter January 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

I still say the Vikes win that game by 20 if it weren't for Peterson's fumbles--and the INT that OMG EVEYRONE IS TALKING ABOUT HA HA HA had nearly zero impact on the game. The 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty that took them out of field goal range? That was huge. The PI call on the uncatcahble pass? That was huge. The COMPLETELY BS review and upholding of the Meacham "catch"? That was huge.

The INT with 7 seconds left that kept Ryan Longwell from trying like a 56-yarder he had almost no chance of making? Not huge.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter January 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

BTW--

I agree that the Colts have the upper hand, but I'll be rooting Saints, for a variety of reasons.

Peace
Ty

A Lion in ViQueen Territory,  January 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

You can't say the interception had nearly zero impact on the game. If it was an incomplete pass, then I think it would've been a 55 yard field goal. They had a timeout left, why throw to the middle of the field? A 10 yard out route would've been the appropriate call as it is nearly indefensible. It is either caught or an incomplete pass.

I agree with the Peterson fumbles. Those hurt the Vikes. And Berrian's fumble in the red zone in the 4th quarter was terrible too.

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy the Super Bowl.

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP