Tinderbox: Opening Weekend!

>> 9.10.2010

lions_party

happy birthday to me!  woooooo party

As a very special birthday present to me, the Vikings lost to the Saints last night—which means that technically, the Lions are out of the NFC North cellar for the first time since December 27th, 2007.  Even better, that puts them in a three-way tie for first!  If the Lions beat the Bears, and the Packers lose to the Eagles, that means . . . oh, my God.  I can’t even say it out loud.  Or write it.

As if yesterday’s ode to hope and fandom and all that wasn’t enough, I have to draw your attention to a Lions season preview article written by Cian O’Day, of the online sports magazine Norman Einstein’s.  Besides being fantastically written, the article captures perfectly the frustration of the past two decades, and the promise of the upcoming season.  Also, he interviews Michael David Smith, sportswriter for Fanhouse, SI.com, and a million other places.  In it, MDS outs himself as a Lions fan, which I loved.  So.  Yes.  Click.  Subscribe.

I loved that Gosder Cherilus promised that the Lions would end the road losing streak—he didn’t guarantee that it would be this weekend, precisely, but I love the attitude nonetheless.  Cherilus is one of the few Lions for whom a really good or really poor performance could completely change the outcome of the game; I dearly hope he walks the walk.

Finally, keep an eye out for me in the Mlive.com Gameday live blog!  I may not be there all four quarters, but I will be there, helping Michael Schottey fill in for Phil Zaroo, he he prepares to tie the knot (congratulations again, Phil!).  And, of course, don’t forget to check out my joy and/or depression on Sunday night’s Fireside Chat podcast!


3 comments:

A Lion in ViQueen Territory,  September 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

happy birthday, dude, coming at you straight from minneapolis.

ALiVQT

Unknown September 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

I may stay up for this weeks chat.

Go LIONS!!!

Anonymous,  September 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM  

No watchtower??

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP