mild franchise makeover: detroit lions edition

>> 4.21.2009

It's been pretty disappointing, reading most fans' reaction to the release of the new logos and unis.  I've read and heard a lot of "I can't tell any difference", and "If they were going to change it, they should have changed everything", and even "I liked the old logo better".

First of all, if you can't spot the differences (and VAST IMPROVEMENTS) between these two logos, then you lose all credibility on the subject:

Secondly, to anyone who says a tweaking wasn't needed, I say I was 17 before I realized that the gap between Bubbles's paw and mouth wasn't his cycloptic eye.  Moreover, the last time anybody tried a clean-sheet redesign with a Detroit franchise was the Teal Nightmare that all Pistons fans had to endure.  If they'd listened to all the yahoos out there, today the Lions' logo would be some heinous chartruese-and-black roaring lion, with blood-soaked fangs and a cheerleader riding on the back.  I mean, hey, it'd look great airbrushed onto the side of a Ram Van, but within weeks we'd be groaning at the cheesiness of it all and itching for the next redesign.  The mild refresh that the Lions did was masterfully concieved and executed, and they updated both the logo and the uniforms with a modern, clean, consistently-styled look.  Yet, it honors and carries forward the 75-year tradition and image of the Lions: strong, clean, and classy--win or lose.

11 comments:

Ty Schalter April 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

You know, we really need a new name for this new Lion.

"Blades"?

Peace
Ty

Anonymous,  April 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Logo update is great. I could have lived without the black in the uniform, but overall it's a nice and very needed evolution of the brand.

Unknown April 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

Ty, we had seen the logo over at the fanatics site back in early March...

Then you blogged:
http://thelionsinwinter.blogspot.com/2009/03/theres-been-lot-of-handwringing-about.html

Your last paragraph was a fantastic summary of what was to come.

David M April 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

Thats great!

Up until about 2 months ago, I thought the same thing about the cyclops eye of the logo. I thought I was the only one who had trouble interpreting the old image.

Btw,

I happen to like the new logo, especially the new script.

Ty Schalter April 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Anon 1--right on, man. I started this blog partially as a response to all the bitter "fans" who apparently find savaging everything "their team" does both acceptable and satisfying. This blog is about being a true fan of the Lions--and IMO no true fan can do anything but applaud this makeover.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter April 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

Anon 2--

Actually, I'm a big fan of the black trim/piping, it really sets off the blue. Putting my now-two-unis-ago Charlie Batch jersey next to my now-old Charles Rogers, the blues are the same, but the blue really "pops", especially on the road jersey. I really think the Lions' aways are among the best in the NFL.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter April 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

TimT--

Wow, thanks for digging that up! I obviously was feeling a lot more mature and Zen that day . . . today, I don't know, I guess I expected more from the fans today. To me, this is an unquestioned home run. I don't know how people don't see it! I suppose I should take my own advice. Thanks again!

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter April 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

David M--

Yeah; it saddens me to know that all of the time I spent in third grade mastering drawing the old Roy Rogers cowboy script wordmark--so I could put it on all my paper footballs--is wasted. However, the new wordmark is WAY better, and it fits both the new logo and the new numbers perfectly.

Oh, and thanks for 'fessing up about the misinterpretation of the logo, it makes me feel better (I was a little bit scared about posting that bit, I feared widespread mockery!).

Peace
Ty

Anonymous,  April 21, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

It would be the first time you feared widespread mockery in your life. Normally you embrace it.

much love
~your wife

Anonymous,  April 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

i hope they sign and announce the pick TODAY. i'm sick of waiting. who's with me?

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP