the lines are being drawn

>> 4.22.2009

For days, weeks, months even, the storylines have been developing.  All the rumors, the deceptions, the smokescreens, they're all in place.  As the waiting . . . and waiting . . . and waiting . . . finally, excruciatingly, glacially blooms into the beginnings of the first signs of the coming days, when eventually, someday, we will begin to hear word of who the Lions, with the first overall pick in the NFL draft, will select.

After all the posturing, all the stonewalling, and all the innuendo, what we know for sure boils down to this:

1) Matt Stafford is telling people it's all but done, and he's going to make north of $40M guaranteed.

2) Aaron Curry is telling Sirius radio he'd be "more than happy" to take less guaranteed money than Jake Long got last year.

Add to this the fact that the Lions made a great show of publicly hosting Curry's representation last weekend, while secretly meeting with Tom Condon at the same time, and it all leads me to believe the following statement is true:

Matt Stafford will be the pick if he'll sign a reasonable deal.  The Lions are using Aaron Curry as leverage to get Stafford to come down on price.  If Stafford won't get at least within the ballpark before Saturday afternoon, Curry will be the pick.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I can't possibly talk angles on the #1 overall pick any further . . . I'm completely drained.  Either we will be surprised with a signing in the next seventy-six hours, or we'll find out when Roger Goodell takes that little white card up on stage.

8 comments:

ClusterFox April 22, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

I think you Nailed it, Ty. This is the best situation us lions fans could hope for. Even Stafford fans have to realize he's not worth it if he's going to make unreasonable contract demands. The rest of us are hopeing that's exactly what he's doing, so we can "settle" for Curry. I'm crossing my fingers.

Clusterfox

Anonymous,  April 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

Stafford is not making unreasonable demands. Not sure where all this is coming from. He also didn't tell teammates at Georgia that the it was a done deal with the Lions.

Just more rumor mongering. Follows with the same path that people think the Lion's are split on who they want.

If they take Stafford, my only hope is that everyone will give the kid a chance and hope for the best. Not boo him just because the Lion's felt he was the best fit for the team. But hey, it's Lion's fans we're talking about here where it seems like they would rather be right than have the team succeed.

I'd be happy with any of the top 3 as I think every one of them would bring something good to the team. I prefer Stafford, but I'm rooting and 100% behind whoever they pick.

Just recently found your blog, Ty but I have to say that I really enjoy reading it and your insights. Even when I don't agree with them. :)

Keep up the great work!

ClusterFox April 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I didn't mean to imply he IS making unreasonable demands, just that the two main options at this point( besides trading down) are the two fan favorites IMO. The QB on O and the QB on D, And hopefully that little bit of leverage we have on Stafford will allow us to get a better deal done by Sat morning.

Ty Schalter April 22, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

ClusterFox--

It's no secret that I'm hoping for Curry. I think he's the best overall player in the draft, would play what is unquestionably our position of greatest need, and would round out a "build-around-able" defensive nucleus of Avril, Sims, and possibly Bullocks or Fluellen. I feel like the offense really just needs a three-down tight end, a talented center/guard prospect, and a Quarterback of the Future--and frankly, I hope Drew Stanton gets a fair shot to be that other player.

Defense, however, is going to be wretched, even with Curry. If the Lions go into the season starting Cody Spencer at MLB, expect teams to run for 5+ yards per carry again, and an uphill climb to three wins . . .

Peace
Ty

Anonymous,  April 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

http://davebirkett.blogspot.com/

Stafford deal looks to be done.

Ty Schalter April 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Anon--

"If they take Stafford, my only hope is that everyone will give the kid a chance and hope for the best. Not boo him just because the Lion's felt he was the best fit for the team. But hey, it's Lion's fans we're talking about here where it seems like they would rather be right than have the team succeed."

True words have never been spoken. As I've said over the past several weeks, I've resigned myself to the pick being Stafford, and in fact I've done quite a bit of YouTube "film breakdown" and research. I think that between his arm, his athleticism, and his ego (in both the Fruedian and colloquial senses), he has a lot of Elway-esque qualities. I certainly see his upside as being that high. Moreover, I think he'll be, on day one, at least as good of a football thrower--and possibly, just as good of a quarterback--as Daunte Culpepper. Better yet, the Lions already have the pieces that he needs to be surrounded with to be effective, which will build his confidence and put him in a position to succeed.

That having been said, while the Lions have a nice little nucleus of talented young players on offense, the defense has had zero fire, intensity, swagger, or even basic competence since Millen came aboard. The defense needs its heart, soul, and leader far more than the offense needs a Stafford-to-Megatron connection.

To me, the Aaron Curry is the best college player in this draft, the best workout warrior in this draft, and the best person in this draft. He's the best available player, and he's the keenest need we have . . . from where I sit it's a slam dunk.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter April 22, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Anon--

Oh, and can't believe I forgot to add: thank you, very very much, for the kind words. I hope I can keep making the time you spend here worthwhile!

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter April 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

Anon with the Birkett tip--

Thanks; my BlackBerry is already overheating with the news! Darn Twitter!

Peace
Ty

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP