The game is afoot

>> 4.19.2009

Well Martin Mayhew, Tom Lewand, and the fine folks at Octagon Football must have gotten my letters, because yesterday the Lions brass flew Andy Ross and Michael Sullivan in to begin talking contract.  Ross and Sullivan were invited onto the sidelines to watch practice, which is interesting.  As Dave Birkett points out in a great wrapup of yesterday's minicamp workouts, what this means is that the Lions want to be seen negotiating with Aaron Curry's representation.  The fact that they are also negotiating with Matt Stafford and Jason Smith's representation, with far less fanfare (Mayhew even declined comment when asked if he was also talking to Tom Condon, Stafford's agent), underscores to me that they know the fans want Curry, and they want them to think there's a chance.  Either that, or they're trying to convince other teams that Curry's candidacy is heating up; pulling the switcheroo I've been postulating for weeks.  Two easy steps to creating a trade market for the 1.1: convince everyone that Stafford is a mortal lock--then shortly before the draft, leak that you've nearly got Curry signed.  A team in the 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 area that was already getting Aaron Curry jerseys printed up will be scrambling, and the Lions can finally slide back a few spots, get a very good player, and save themselves like $8M guaranteed over the life of the deal.

I hate it.  Sign Curry! C'mon Ross and/or Sullivan!  Negotiate like you've never negotiated!  Come in low, make your client the first #1 overall linebacker in 20 years, and reap the marketing benefits like crazy!

9 comments:

Team Widowmaker April 19, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

I haven't posted in awhile here. I just posted this over at DetFans site too. Still a daily reader Ty, great work all of you through this past month. I've had too much anticipation pent up and have just been trying to read, read, gobble up info, and read some more on everything I can before Saturday. The anticipation of what we will do is killing me and I love being able to come here daily and find great articles by you and Josh over at DetFan followed by great comments.

Just my two cent conspiracy theory here that some of you will like and I wanted to drop for fun:
I noticed the other day in Birkett's blog that he was mentioning some of the number changes. Coincidence that Alex Lewis all of a sudden switched from number 59 to number 52?? You all know whose college number is 59. Ha ha just thought I'd let you all stew....

I'm sure you'll see it soon enough but also Killers latest today saying he believes the pick will be Curry:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/after_watching_minicamp_lions.html

Anonymous,  April 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

peterson is wearing 59 now dude.

gotta draft curry cuz the defense is in MUCH worse shape than i previously thought.

Team Widowmaker April 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

Yeah I just figured that one out, my mistake haha burst my bubble =(. Though I like Peterson with 59 way better than when he switched to 98 that was ugly.

Anonymous,  April 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

would rather have him be an even number than an odd one. prolly just my OCD talking though.

;]

Anonymous,  April 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Draft Mitch King DT Iowa for your MLB

Ty Schalter April 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Hey Todd! Glad to hear from you again; thanks for reading. I know exactly the feeling of trying to consume all the possible information! I agree that lately it seems like the momentum is starting to come around on Curry--then again it seems like that's because the Lions are putting it out there, which makes me . . . Less hopeful.

Peace
Ty

Steve April 20, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

The Lions were in a position to take Matthew Stafford, until the trade between the Bills and Eagles.

At this point, defense and O-Line should take primacy, since, if they draft Stafford, he won't be able to play immediately. If they choose to go in another direction with #1, #20, and #33, at the very least, all of these players will play and hopefully, contribute immediately.

I now believe that Curry is the best player available, in spite of any issues that maybe advanced against taking Curry, you were right, he is the Lions best option. I can live with a high O-line pick, too.

I have done a 180 degree turn on the Lions selecting Stafford, though. It is a DISASTER waiting to happen.

I still hold out hope that crazy Dan Snyder will move up to take Mark Sanchez, against all conventional logic.

Ty Schalter April 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Steve--

I've been looking hard at the OL scenarios now that Buffalo appears to be in the mix for a tackle. For one thing, I think the fact that the Bills now have two first-rounders is interesting. The old trade chart says that 1.11 plus 1.28 is worth just under 2,000 points, and the 1.1 is supposed to be worth 3,000 points, but everyone is saying that chart goes out the window these days, and IIRC the value would slot between 1.3 and 1.4.

I'd take the 1.11, 1.20, and 1.28 and laugh all the way to the bank. Oher or Maualuga, Maualuga or Davis, Laurenitis or Mack? Yes, please.

I just can't figure out why Aaron Curry is the conensus best player, with no holes in his game, with incredible workout numbers, and with impeccable character--but drafting him at 1.1 is so hard to believe.

Peace
Ty

Anonymous,  April 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

nature of the beast and he's an unproven commodity at MLB.

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP