Gameday Discussion: Lions at Ravens

>> 12.13.2009

ravens-wallpaper

It’s fitting that the Lions play the Ravens today.  In various cultures, ravens have been feared as omens of doom, or the manifestation of damned souls.  With their jet-black plumage and beak, and their taste for the flesh of dead animals, it’s easy to see how the legends began.

At 2-10, the Lions certainly look more like carrion than kings of the jungle. However, if they can beat back the Ravens, the Lions will close out their last three games with two more winnable ones--and a decent shot at a 4- or 5-win season.  Today is either the day the Lions roar back to respectability--or the day the scavengers pick their bones clean.

Today is momentous for this site as well; the early birds (heh) amongst you may have already noticed.  Mlive.com sports producer Phil Zaroo has asked me to contribute to his Lions blog, The Highlight Reel.  It was an honor to be asked, and my pleasure to agree!  This week’s piece is already up.  Please, check it out, and let me know what you think.

9 comments:

Big Al Beaton December 13, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Good stuff at Mlive, Ty! Nice to see them spread a little love to the Detroit blogosphere!

Jeremy December 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

Congrats, man! I look forward to reading more.

Neil December 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Congrats, Ty.

As for the game so far, well . . . frustrating seems like an entirely inadequate word at the moment.

A Lion in ViQueen territory,  December 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Crap game by the Lions. But I like the "Highlight Reel" column. That guy with the first comment doesn't know jack. You can write, you can think, keep it up.

Alas, your Watchtower predictions kinda sucked. I didn't get to watch the game - something to do with living in the Twin Cities - so what was the problem?

Ty Schalter December 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

Big Al--

Thanks, man! I think it's really cool that they're reaching out to the fan community to better serve the fan community. Who'd've thunk it?

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter December 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

Jeremy--

I appreciate it! The first day I got a link from the Highlight Reel, it was like Christmas . . . I can't believe I'm actually writing for it now! It really shows you how fast this "Internet" stuff moves.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter December 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

Neil--

I'm sorry to start a "gameday discussion" thread and then not come back to it . . . I didn't have much of anything to say. Res ipsa loquitur.

Peace
Ty

Ty Schalter December 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

ALiVQT--

Thanks for the kudos! It's really cool to hear; keeps me hungry to do better. :)

Yeah, the Watchtower--well, I'll do my usual postmortem, but the Reader's Digest version:

A) My projection for the offense was with "very low confidence", because I had no scheme vs. scheme data, and Culpepper is awful.

B) The defense held the Ravens to ten points in the first 25 minutes . . . and then the offense completely melted down, and hung them out to dry. The rest of the way was simply Culpepper being Culpepper, and the defense quitting.

Peace
Ty

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP