The Lions in Winter: New Look, Same Great Taste

>> 3.28.2010

For those checking out the site on Lynx, I've just updated the look and feel of the site. Over the past year or so, I'd been wrestling with the layout. It looked like what I pictured in my head, but did so at the expense of load time, readability, and usability.

The new layout fixes a lot of these issues. It also gives the important part--the text--a lot more elbow room, puts the most useful site tools in more prominent positions, and more organically integrates the ads into the page. Perhaps most importantly, the new layout looks approximately 14.7 quadrillion times better on mobile browsers.

Please note: the new layout isn't done, or perfect. I'm still tweaking some of the color/layout graphic stuff, especially as regards the sidebars and widgets. I've been checking things in Opera, Chrome, Safari, and IE8, on both Windows and Mac where possible. If things are broken for you, please let me know right away via email or Twitter (or, of course, just comment on this post).

In the meantime, I hope the new look makes the site load much more quickly, read much more cleanly, and be a generally more awesome place to hang out and talk Lions football.


EDITED TO ADD: the new template was sourced from Our Blog Templates, and though I've customized it quite a bit, I started with the Simple N’ Sweet template. 

7 comments:

Jacob March 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

#sidebar3 {
width: 100%;
}

Other then that, love it. Great readability.

Ty Schalter March 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Awesome, thanks guys!

Jacob, the sidebar thing is actually due to a problem I'm having with my ads . . . they seem to appear, or not, based on a whim. There are supposed to be two skyscraper ads there--sometimes they show up, other times not. Workin' on it.

Peace
Ty

Unknown March 29, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Love the new look man! Where did you get your layout? Or did you custom build it?

Ty Schalter March 29, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

Weston--

Man, can't believe I forgot to credit the template! I edited the post to reflect it, but I started with a template from ourblogtemplates.com, and hand-customized it for my use.

Peace
Ty

Unknown March 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

Thanks dude, I was thinking of a new layout for my blog. Just looking at everything right now.

Jacob March 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Oh hey, I have adblock plus on, that's why I don't see any ads there. :) Ignore my comment about filling the column then.

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP