good seats are still available

>> 8.27.2009

Well, sort of.  Lions individual-game tickets went on sale this morning at 10:00, and of course I had to pony up for the home opener.  Just looking for standard upper-deck seats, hoping to get a crack at the closer-to-midfield ones, like sections 335 or 327, right next to the pricier red ones:

TixMap_09

Unfortunately, despite refresh-monkeying the Tickemaster site, when I got through it put me in section 315--the bottom right coffin corner, off the field in both directions, not even on the side with the tunnel!  "Wow," I thought, "they must already have nearly sold out!" I pounced on the tickets, very glad not to have missed out.

Then I got to thinking . . . these are basically the worst seats in the house.  They cost fifty bucks.  The "Roar Zone" seats are only $42 . . . where are those?  I went to look for the "best available" Roar Zone seats and, to my dismay, they were right in the middle of the end zone.  A call to Ticketmaster customer service, a wait on hold, and a transfer later, my tickets were moved from 315 to 345--in between the hash and the home sideline, in the corner with the tunnel, view to the street, etc.; much much better overall—and $16 went back on my credit card.  So, Lions faithful, a lesson learned: The Roar Zone is a great deal!

However, TicketMaster, let me address you for a minute.  While I certainly appreciated your “World Class Customer Service” moving me to a better, cheaper seat, your “shipping option” of printing a .pdf file of the tickets with my own ink and paper CANNOT ETHICALLY COST ME $2.50!  If that is not an unfair, abusive, monopolistic practice, then I don’t know what is.

Please excuse my rant, folks; you may resume paying attention.  I'm hoping that the Roar Zone will indeed be just that: a place where the less-well-heeled will be using their Outside Voices to support the home team.  I will cheer the home team, boo the hated enemy, secretly scratch “Watch Brett Favre Play Live” off my personal sports Bucket List, and—with a little luck—see the new Lions literally kick off the next chapter in their history.

7 comments:

Ty Schalter August 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

Egret--

I am not sure I could boo "The Quarterback of the Hated Enemy" without it seeming like I'm booing Favre's return to football--really, I support it; if Mike Vick has an inalienable right to play NFL football, then for the love of all that is good and pure, so does Brett Favre.

I'll boo the Viqueens plenty, though.

Peace
Ty

Anonymous,  August 27, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

I went on StubHub and got tix for AZ for my brother and I last week -- section 106, midway down. Cost? $110 each including all fees. If we were taking the kids, I would definitely have gone "Roar Zone" -- I like that the Lions are offering so many different packages and combinations, and levels of tickets to make it easier on fans to go to the games! Way to support the team! Go Lions!!

Unknown August 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

There is no team I hate more than the Vikings. Are those seats you bought the all you can eat seats? If not which ones are and do you know the price? Hope the Lions win! Forward down the field!

Isphet,  August 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM  

I wish I could go to a Lions game. Only one problem. I decided in 2003 to not spend a cent on anything Lions until they make the playoffs.

Matt,  August 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Isphet, I have a similar commitment going, though not on the level as or for the length of yours. I decided after about Week 3 last season that, until the Lions won a game, I was not going to wear any of my "Lions gear." As a guy who wears a ball cap literally everyday, this was a pretty big commitment. Little did I know at the time that it would carry into the 2009 season.

I, will, however be attending the home opener as well. Most likely, I'll be rocking a Tigers hat (appropriately supporting the play-off push that will be going on down the street). I will also bring my favorite Lions hat with me because maybe, just maybe, I'll finally be able to wear it again.

John August 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

I'll be at the home opener too - can't wait, driving up from down here in Illinois. I got my tix off of StubHub, will be right next to the tunnel where they run in, pretty sweet. I expect to see Favre being sacked and picked a couple of times!! Go Lions, can't wait

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Find us on Google+

Back to TOP